Dear members of the Temple community,
The tragic events earlier this week in Boston have shined a light on safety and security at public events. As the parent of two college students myself, I understand the anxiety that events like those in Boston can create among members of the university community.
I want to assure you that Temple University officials are focused on the safety of the Temple community, particularly as we enter into Alumni Weekend events and the Cherry and White football game.
Our Police Department has developed coordinated plans with the City of Philadelphia to ensure the security of students and all of our visitors this weekend. Security protocol does not allow us to release specifics, but the plan does involve continuous monitoring of intelligence with the Philadelphia Police, the FBI and the Philadelphia Police Department's Homeland Security unit and an increase in police presence this weekend. We take all indications of threats very seriously and will share all credible information that will require action on your part.
Many of you have asked what you can do to stay safe. Here are some suggestions from Campus Safety Services:
- If you notice anything suspicious or unusual, contact Campus Safety at 215-204-1234 immediately or contact Philadelphia Police by calling 911.
- Cooperate with police and event officials — even if it means an inconvenience or a delay in your entrance to an event.
- In the event of an emergency, remain calm, evacuate immediately and follow instructions.
- Make sure you have signed up for TUAlert so you can quickly and easily get information. We can't reach you with critical information if you haven't signed up for the alert system.
- Monitor official social media channels for information and updates.
- For additional information on emergency preparedness, visit the TU Ready website at temple.edu/tuready.
If you have concerns that you would like to discuss with someone, Tuttleman Counseling Services can be reached at 215-204-7276.
We are all looking forward to the events this weekend. Be assured we will be doing all we can to keep you safe.
Senior Vice President, Construction, Facilities and Operations