Posted February 6, 2009

New grants for student research, creative projects available

Undergraduates and professional students still have time to apply for a unique mentored experience

Undergraduate and professional students seeking a unique mentored experience at Temple still have time to apply for funding from the university's new Creative Arts, Research and Scholarship (CARAS) program.

The CARAS program — a collaboration among the Office of Research and Strategic Initiatives, the Office of the Provost and the deans of Temple's schools and colleges — provides grants of up to $3,000 in support of scholarly, creative or research projects under the supervision of a faculty member.

"CARAS grants are special because they give undergraduate and professional students an opportunity to engage in an independent, mentored creative or research experience," said Peter R. Jones, Temple's senior vice provost for undergraduate studies. "Many students have an innate interest in exploring certain subjects, but sometimes they just require support and guidance. These will be transformative experiences that can be shaped to students' needs."

The deadline for completed proposals for summer and fall 2009 projects is Feb. 16, 2009.

CARAS grants are competitive. Successful applications will provide a clearly focused project that addresses a significant aspect of the student's field of study, include a detailed budget proposal and be endorsed by a faculty member or dean in the student's field of study.

Of the approximately 45 grants that will be awarded, at least two-thirds will go to undergraduates and up to one third will go to professional students in the schools of Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Pharmacy and Podiatry.

Applications may be submitted for a person or a team. To be eligible, students must be full-time and must complete one full-time semester subsequent to the award. Tuition costs and supplies normally covered by the student's school, college or department are not covered.

For a complete description of the CARAS program, including eligibility requirements and applications instructions, go to the web site of the Office of the Senior Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies at