Temple University will close at the end of business on Friday, Dec. 21, 2012 and reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013. A limited number of services and offices will remain open during the break. This announcement includes important information about this closure.
- Howard Gittis Student Center, Main Campus. The Food Court, Bookstore and other Student Center facilities will be closed. The exception is as follows:
- Philadelphia Federal Credit Union will be closed Dec. 24, 25, 31 and Jan. 1 but will have regular operating hours from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. all other days.
- The Law Bookstore (Barnes and Noble on Broad and Cecil B. Moore) will be open on the following days:
- Dec. 22 from 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Dec. 26–28 from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Dec. 31 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Paley Library will be open as follows:
- Dec. 17–21 from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Dec. 26–28 from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Jan. 2–18 from 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
Some Health Sciences Campus (HSC) library facilities, the Charles Blockson Collection and the Ambler library will be closed for the university winter break. Please visit the University Libraries website for schedule information.
All other Temple facilities — including those at the Ambler, Center City, Fort Washington, and Harrisburg campuses — will be closed during the winter break except to authorized/essential personnel. Essential personnel will be required to report as scheduled. If you are unsure of your obligation to report to work, please consult with your supervisor prior to the break. Please check with your school, college or administrative unit head if you are uncertain about your responsibilities or access to facilities during the winter break.
Temple Men's Basketball will be playing two games during the winter break: Dec. 28 at 3 p.m. against Detroit and Dec. 31 at 2 p.m. against Bowling Green. Please come cheer on the Temple Owls!
Temple Administrative Services Building
TASB will remain open during the winter break but van service will not run after 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 21. Van service will resume at 6:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013.
The TECH Center will be open Friday, Dec. 21 from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. and closed Dec. 22, 2012 through Jan. 1, 2013. It will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013 from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
The only parking garages open will be the Liacouras and Bell Garages on Main Campus, and Ontario West Garage at HSC. All others will be closed. However, Lot 1 on Broad Street will be open for basketball games. For more information, go to www.temple.edu/parking.
Mail and Deliveries
Mail will not be picked up or delivered during the winter break.
Do not leave any shipments in UPS drop-off boxes during the winter break, as they will not be picked up.
If you are expecting a package to be delivered by an express delivery service, please let the sender know exactly where and when you will be on campus to receive the shipment due to limited facilities access and the likelihood that no one else will be present to sign for it.
Do not order any items requiring refrigeration or other forms of special handling that may arrive during the winter break.
Any safety or access issues during the winter break should be directed to Campus Safety Services at 215-204-1234.
If you access university facilities during the winter break, please check in with Campus Safety Services to let them know about your presence.
If there is a need for you to work during the winter break, please exercise good judgment as you enter and exit buildings. Please do not prop open any doors or let unauthorized personnel gain access to Temple facilities.
Johnson, Hardwick and Peabody Residence Halls will close on Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012 at noon and will re-open on Sunday, Jan. 20, 2013 at 10 a.m. All other Residence Halls will be open to students who have registered to remain on campus.
Winter Break Energy Conservation
Winter break provides the University with a great opportunity to save energy. Before you leave for Break, please remember to:
- Turn off lights and unplug electrical equipment (includes appliances, televisions, stereo equipment). Turn off power strips.
- Discard any food in refrigerators and unplug.
- If applicable, please turn heat down to 60 degrees.
- For safety and energy efficiency, please make sure all windows are CLOSED and LOCKED when you leave, regardless of outside temperatures. A window left open even slightly can lead to frozen and broken pipes.
Lastly, please record an "extended absence greeting" for your voicemail box. To do this, dial into voicemail (215-204-9595 if off-campus). After you enter your password, enter 4-3-2. Here is a potential script for your greeting:
"You have reached the voicemail box of [your name]. Temple University will be closed for winter break until Wednesday, Jan. 2. If you would like to leave me a message, I will respond when I return. For emergencies, please contact Temple Campus Safety Services at 215-204-1234. Enjoy your holidays and have a safe and happy new year."
Best wishes for a safe and happy winter break with family and friends.
— James P. Creedon, Senior Vice President, Construction, Facilities and Operations