An incident at the Science Education and Research Center construction site was reported at 1:20 today. Initial indications are that a failed connector on the fifth floor of the structure caused a beam to fall. One worker was injured and was transported to Temple University Hospital. The worker was alert and responding to rescuers and is reported in stable condition.
The construction site will remain closed while the university investigates along with federal and state authorities. The following vehicular and pedestrian traffic changes will be in effect until further notice:
- 12th Street will be closed to vehicular traffic from Norris Street to Montgomery Avenue.
- No pedestrians will be permitted on 12th Street from Norris Street to Polett Walk.
- Access to the Biology-Life Sciences building will be through the west doors located across from Beury Hall. No one is permitted to exit the doors on 12th Street.
- Polett Walk is closed between 11th and 12th Streets. Pedestrians traveling east and westbound between 11th and 12th streets should use the pathway between Anderson Hall and the TECH Center.
- Access to the main entrances of Anderson Hall and Gladfelter Hall will be permitted from 11th Street.
- The Gladfelter and Anderson Hall outdoor mezzanine will be closed.
- Access to the Engineering Building will be from Norris Street.
- The SEPTA bus stop will be relocated to 12th and Diamond Streets, with no stops along 12th Street until Cecil B. Moore Avenue. The Temple transit center will be moved to 13th street next to Paley Library.
Temple security officers will be available to direct pedestrians to alternative routes. Thank you for your patience.