On Monday, Jan. 20, Temple will serve as one of many sponsors of the 19th annual Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service. Tens of thousands of volunteers will participate in community-service projects in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. Here are the events at which Temple students, faculty, staff and alumni will participate.
To learn more about participating in this year’s activities, contact Temple’s Director of Community and Neighborhood Affairs Andrea Swan at (215)-204-7409. For opportunities at Ambler Campus, contact Assistant Dean for Student Life Wanda Lewis-Campbell at (267)-468-8425.
Girard College, Corinthian and Girard avenues: The Office of Community Relations is placing members of the Temple community in variety of volunteer projects planned by Global Citizen. Michael Robinson of Temple’s Department of Human Resources will participate in HR training. Students from the College of Health Professions and Social Work will participate in a health fair. Events will begin at 8:30 a.m.
• Berean Presbyterian Church, Broad and Diamond streets: The Office of Community Relations is working with the church to conduct cleanup projects at the site. The project will begin at 10 a.m.
• Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, 1530-38 N. 11th St.: The Office of Community Relations will partner with the church to participate in cleanup projects at the site. The project will begin at 11 a.m.
• People for People, Inc., 800 North Broad St.: The Office of Community Relations will clean and paint at the multipurpose community center. The project will begin at 10 a.m.
• St. Malachy’s Parish, 1419 N. 11th St.: The Office of Campus Safety will host a cleanup project at the site. The project will begin at 10 a.m.
Health Sciences Center
• Mercy Neighborhood Ministries, 1939 W Venango St.: Medical students will participate in projects engaging the children at the site.
• No-Sew Blanket Project, Bright Hall: Students will work together to create blankets that will be donated to Shriner's Hospital. The event will begin at 11 a.m.