Updated: Aug. 10, 2020, 9:52 a.m.
These FAQs apply to Education Abroad-administered programs. For questions about study abroad programs offered by other schools and colleges at Temple, please contact those offices directly.
If I have a question about study abroad and want to communicate with someone, may I?
- Yes. You may contact Education Abroad by email at email@example.com, or call 215-204-0720 and leave a voicemail message. We are all working remotely and monitoring email and voicemail throughout the day, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. We will respond as quickly as possible.
Can I still participate in information sessions or meet with a study abroad advisor?
- Absolutely. You can register for a Zoom version of our required session, Foundations of Study Abroad. To schedule an online advising appointment, send us an email with the following information.
- Have you attended Foundations of Study Abroad?
- Have you spoken with your academic advisor about your plan to study abroad?
- What questions do you have? This will help us schedule and prepare for your appointment. If you just have a general idea, that’s OK, too.
- You can also view our online information sessions on YouTube.
- Sign up to receive our regular student email updates about information sessions, program deadlines, scholarships, student stories and more.
Spring, summer and fall 2021 programs
What is the status of spring 2021 and summer 2021 Education Abroad programs?
On Oct. 15, 2020, we announced that after a thorough review of current circumstances and much discussion with our colleagues in Oviedo and on Main Campus, Temple University will not be able to offer the spring 2021 Temple in Spain semester study abroad program. Please see our program cancellation notice.
Spring 2021: In order to comply with governmental health regulations regarding social distancing, Temple Rome and Temple Japan will have to limit the number of study abroad students they can host on their campuses for the spring 2021 term. In addition, we anticipate interest in the spring programs may be higher than in previous years, as some students are deferring applications in light of the pandemic.
Applications for spring 2021 continue to be reviewed on a rolling admission basis. We expect that the programs will fill well before the Oct. 1 deadline. See below for program status and waitlist information. We will continue to monitor the situation and make adjustments to our capacity if and when we can. However, waitlists for both programs are likely, and prospective students are urged to submit their applications for spring 2021 programs well in advance of the deadline, and to consider summer 2021 or fall 2021 as an alternative. We will review waitlists periodically to ensure we can provide the opportunity to as many students as possible.
- Summer 2021: Although typically open in November, Temple Rome summer I 2021 and Temple Japan summer 2021 applications are now open. Applications for other Temple summer study programs will open at a later date.
As with spring, we anticipate interest in Temple Rome and Temple Japan summer programs may be higher than usual as some students are deferring their study abroad plans. We therefore continue to encourage early application.
For more on the status of spring and summer programs, view the program status and information page. For more information about studying abroad in spring, summer and fall 2021, view the COVID-19 guidance page.
Will Temple offer fall 2020 Education Abroad programs?
- No. After a thorough review of current circumstances and much discussion with our colleagues in Japan, Rome and on Main Campus, Temple University will not be able to offer the fall 2020 semester study abroad programs at Temple Japan or Temple Rome. Please see the program cancellation notices, which include information for accepted students: Temple Japan Cancellation Notice (June 29, 2020); Temple Rome Cancellation Notice (July 17, 2020). We are also we are unable to permit students to participate in fall 2020 approved external or exchange study abroad programs. Please see our External and Exchanges Program Cancellation Notice (July 15, 2020) for more information on this decision.
Summer 2020 programs cancellation
General program cancellation questions
Have Education Abroad Summer 2020 Programs been canceled?
- Yes. In light of the fact that the U.S. Department of State has raised its worldwide alert to a Level 4: Do Not Travel, coupled with Temple University’s prohibiting all university-affiliated international travel for Temple University students through June 22, 2020, all 2020 summer programs administered by the Education Abroad office have been canceled. Please see our Program Status page for a complete list of programs.
I was accepted for the Temple Japan or Temple Rome summer program. Can I transfer my acceptance to another term?
- Yes, though your participation is contingent upon your continued eligibility status through the start of that program term. Please contact your program manager as soon as possible, and note that programs may fill before the deadline. Visit our Program Status page for program status and waitlist information.
I was accepted to a program other than Temple Rome or Temple Japan summer. Can you automatically accept me to the program of my choosing?
- No. This option is only for students from Rome or Japan summer programs applying for a fall or spring semester on the same campus. However, if you start an application for a future program, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can copy relevant parts of your summer 2020 application to the new application.
- Summer 2021 or beyond: The application cycle is not currently open, but please reach out to us during the fall semester once the Summer 2021 application cycle opens.
What if I was awarded an external scholarship already, or if I have a Temple Merit stipend?
- Contact the representative from the program that awarded the scholarship to inquire about deferment.
- If you receive a merit stipend, you can use it for any term. If summer is your last term, contact Emily Moerer: email@example.com.
General financial questions
What will happen to the program deposits I paid for a summer program that is now canceled?
- Your deposits will be credited to your Temple account for the next term. This is always our policy for canceled programs. Temple students in their last term and non-Temple students will receive a refund check.
I am a senior and will not have another Temple bill. Can I get my money back?
- Please contact the Education Abroad office directly to arrange a refund.