To current Temple housing residents:
As we move into November, we wanted to extend sincere thanks to you for choosing to remain in university housing for the duration of the fall semester. We know that the residential experience was not the one you expected, but you should be commended for continually prioritizing your education and the health and safety of the Temple community. We remain proud of and grateful for all you have done throughout the pandemic and are fortunate to call you a Temple Owl.
As previously announced, at the end of classes on Friday, Nov. 20, Temple is moving to remote teaching and learning for the last week of classes, study days and the exam period. With this date quickly approaching, we wanted to make sure you have the information you need to either request winter break housing or smoothly transition to another residence. For all residents leaving university housing for the break, you must depart your residence hall by noon on Saturday, Nov. 21. To ensure you are virus-free before your return home, COVID-19 testing will be available prior to your departure from campus. More information about end-of-semester testing will be available shortly from Student Health Services.
Winter break housing
Should you need to remain in on-campus housing during the final weeks of the fall semester or over winter break, two options are available to you. All requests for winter break housing are subject to approval based on the following criteria and must be submitted by Friday, Nov. 13.
- Housing insecurity (no other housing options)
- Inadequate technology and/or internet for online instruction
- International students who are unable to return home
- Health concerns: Individuals at home are at an elevated risk of COVID-19
- Athletes and/or RAs
- Clinical academic commitment (must provide documentation)
If you plan to submit a request for a winter break housing exception, you must select one of the following two options.
- Winter Break No. 1 will extend from Saturday, Nov. 21, 2020, through Thursday, Dec. 17, 2020. This option is ideal if you only need to stay on campus through the end of fall academic calendar. Students choosing this option may leave university housing for another residence on any date between Nov. 29 and Dec. 17. This option costs $225 and will be added to your fall 2020 bill at the time you submit your request.
- Winter Break No. 2 will extend from Saturday, Nov. 21, 2020, through Sunday, Jan. 17, 2021. This option is ideal if you need to remain in on-campus housing for the end of the fall semester and throughout the entire winter break period. This option costs $600 and will be added to your fall 2020 bill at the time you submit your request.
Please note: Aramark Dining will be closed during winter break (from Nov. 21, 2020 to Jan. 16, 2021) and meal plans will not be available during this time.
Visit the MyHousing portal to submit a request for winter break housing. After logging into the 2020–2021 academic year, visit the Quick Links page and choose the Winter Break Housing links to apply for an exception. You will receive an email confirmation if your exception has been granted.
Housing for spring 2021
If you are currently living in on-campus housing, you will be able to return to your current housing assignment for spring 2021. When leaving for winter break, be sure to bring any valuables or belongings you may need over the extended break period. While you can leave some belongings in your room, the buildings will only be accessible by appointment if you have not received an exception to be in the space over the break period. You may move back into the residence halls for spring semester beginning Sunday, Jan. 17, 2021.
Canceling housing for spring 2021
Although we would love for you to remain a resident in on-campus housing for the spring semester, we understand that some students may need to cancel their housing. To cancel housing, use the Cancel Housing Application in MyHousing in TUPortal. When logging into MyHousing, select the 2020–2021 academic year application, then navigate to the Quick Links page. Scroll down to select the Cancel Housing Application to submit your cancellation.
All cancellation requests must be submitted by Monday, Dec. 7.
Questions? Contact us.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact University Housing and Residential Life during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., by phone at 215-204-7184 (choose option No. 2) or by email at email@example.com. You may also reach us through our Zoom Customer Service Support.
Sean P. Killion
Associate Director for Housing Operations
University Housing and Residential Life