Temple University will close for winter break at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2021, and reopen on Monday, Jan. 3, 2022.
Please note students and employees from graduate and professional schools should refer to their school’s academic calendar for more specific scheduling information.
Essential personnel should check with their supervisors to coordinate schedules throughout the break.
The Flight Shuttle Service will continue to operate throughout winter break except for four days—Friday, Dec. 24, Saturday, Dec. 25, Friday, Dec. 31 and Saturday, Jan. 1—when we will operate the TECH Express.
Students not leaving for winter break are encouraged to use the Walking Escort Program offered through Campus Safety Services, available daily from 4 p.m. to 6 a.m. Call 8-WALK (8-9255) from a campus phone or 215-777-9255 to request a security escort. For more information on safety resources, visit safety.temple.edu.
Parking Services will operate on an abbreviated schedule.
- Residence Halls will close on Wednesday, Dec. 15, 2021, at 7 p.m. and reopen for the start of the spring semester on Saturday, Jan. 8, 2022, at 10 a.m.
- Students needing to request an end-of-semester housing extension or wishing to stay in housing over winter break for a fee can do so through the MyHousing website via TUportal.
- Spring meal plans will begin with dinner on Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022.
Visit University Housing and Residential Life for more information.
Students living off-campus and leaving for winter break, please:
- activate your security system, if you have one
- ask a neighbor to watch your home and report suspicious activity
- be sure your door and window locks work properly
- check smoke detectors to make sure they are working
- suspend mail delivery (you can do this online)
- take your valuables with you
- use light timers to make your home appear occupied at night
- leave the area and call police immediately if you return home and suspect someone was inside
- update or create a home inventory by taking photos and listing descriptions and serial numbers of your belongings. In the event of a burglary, having a detailed inventory can help identify stolen items and make insurance claims easier to file.
The TECH Center will be closed starting Wednesday, Dec. 22 at 5 p.m. and will reopen Monday, Jan. 3, 2022, at 8:30 a.m.
The Howard Gittis Student Center will be closed starting Wednesday, Dec. 22 at 6 p.m. and will reopen Monday, Jan. 3, 2022, at 8 a.m. Please note the front doors to the Center will be open 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday, Dec. 27 through Friday, Dec. 31, ONLY for access to the Philadelphia Federal Credit Union.
Temple University Center City (TUCC)
TUCC will close at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 22 and reopen Monday, Jan. 3, 2022. The TUCC Bookstore will close at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 22 and reopen Monday, Jan. 3, 2022.
Health Sciences Center (HSC)
- The Medical Education and Research Building (MERB) will be open and accessible via OWLcard swipe. Access to Kresge Science Hall (including Kresge West) and the Medical Research Building (MRB) will be through MERB.
- The School of Pharmacy Building will be closed, but accessible via OWLcard swipe; entry must be reported to Campus Safety Services.
- The Old Dental School Building will only be closed Friday, Dec. 24 and Friday, Dec. 31, but will be accessible via OWLcard swipe. Entry must be reported to Campus Safety Services.
- The Kornberg School of Dentistry Building (including clinical operations) will be closed for winter break.
- The Student Faculty Center will be closed starting Wednesday, Dec. 22 at 8 p.m. and will reopen Monday, Jan. 3, 2022, at 6:30 a.m. Please note from Tuesday, Dec. 28 through Thursday, Dec. 30, the Vaccine Clinic in the 1st floor lobby, will be open for patient visits from 9 a.m–3 p.m. Access to other floors is not permitted.
- Temple Faculty Physicians will remain open during the winter break; this includes the practices in the Medical Office Building, Jones Hall, and the Old Dental School Building.
All other Temple domestic facilities—ncluding those at the Ambler (except for scheduled clinical patient activity in Widener Hall), Harrisburg, and School of Podiatric Medicine campuses—will be closed from the close of business on Wednesday, Dec. 22, until Monday, Jan. 3, 2022, except to authorized/essential personnel.
Other Important Reminders
Winter break is a great opportunity to save energy. Before you leave for the break:
- turn off all lights and power strips, and unplug electrical equipment
- discard any food in your refrigerator
- if applicable, turn heat down to 60 degrees
- be sure all windows are closed and locked when you leave; a window left open even slightly can lead to frozen and broken pipes
- close blinds and curtains.
Mail will not be picked up or delivered during winter break.
- Please do not leave any shipments in UPS drop-off boxes during winter break; they will not be picked up.
- If you are expecting a package to be delivered by an express delivery service, please let the sender know exactly where and when you will be on campus to receive the shipment due to limited facilities access and the likelihood that no one else will be present to sign for it.
- Do not order any items requiring refrigeration or other forms of special handling that may arrive during winter break.
Set up automatic email and phone notifications to let your colleagues and contacts know that you won't be in the office during Temple's winter break. For more information, see the Microsoft Outlook instructions.
Lastly, for Temple University's most up-to-date COVID-19 information, please visit temple.edu/coronavirus.
Have a safe and enjoyable winter break!