This is an exciting time for the city of Philadelphia, and we hope you take great pride in the accomplishments of the Philadelphia Eagles as they prepare to play in Super Bowl LVII!
We know that—win or lose—emotions will run high Sunday night. We want you to stay safe and respect our campus and community as you enjoy the game. We encourage you to make plans in anticipation of a possible celebration. Specifically, if you go to Center City after a hopeful victory, please plan for who you will travel with and how you will make it back to campus or your home.
The Broad Street Line is scheduled to run between Center City and Temple University, but you should follow @TempleUOEM for updates regarding SEPTA operations. We also strongly encourage you to purchase SEPTA Key cards prior to Sunday. Due to the high volume of SEPTA ridership at the end of the celebratory events in Center City, students should plan for alternate options to return to campus safely.
We are also writing to alert you to the plans that Temple and Philadelphia police will be enforcing after the game, regardless of the outcome. There will be a substantial police presence on and around Main Campus Sunday night, and those who break the law will be held accountable for their actions.
Heavy pedestrian traffic is likely on Broad Street after the game. If you have a car, you may want to consider moving it to help avoid potential damage. We also recommend that students with bicycles secure them no matter where they are parked (on or around campus).
We want to reinforce the following important points.
- Celebrations that involve violence of any kind, damaging property or littering in our community will not be tolerated.
- The university can take disciplinary action against students who violate the Student Conduct Code.
- University disciplinary action would be in addition to any charges by police.
- There will be increased security in residence halls.
- Surveillance—including videotaping—will be heightened on campus and throughout the city.
- Flight will be operating with modified routes. Students can expect delays and are encouraged to track the revised Flight service area in real time during the hours of operation, 6 p.m.–2 a.m. We are also providing details of the modified route for your consideration. There may be additional game day road closures that may affect Flight operations. Updates will be pushed to the Flight website and @TempleUOEM and @TempleAlert Twitter accounts.
- Students can still request a walking escort on campus or within the university patrol zone by calling 215-777-9255 from 4 p.m. until 6 a.m.
- Please follow Temple’s Office of Emergency Management Twitter accounts, @TempleUOEM and @TempleAlert, for any public service announcements about facilities and/or operational changes Sunday, including information about the Broad Street Line.
Emergency personnel will be incredibly busy caring for fellow Philadelphians. Please gather in ways that help us all to be as safe as possible. Making and honoring limits if you are choosing to consume alcohol, having plenty of water and snacks, and looking out for one another are always big wins.
So far this season, Temple students have celebrated responsibly. We encourage you to continue to make Temple proud as we cheer on the Eagles to a Super Bowl win!
Interim Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
Jennifer D. Griffin
Vice President for Public Safety at Temple University