If you reside in non-campus housing, here are a few safety tips as you prepare to leave your residence for the winter break:
- Use timers on lights, radios, televisions, etc. and set them to go on and off to make your home appear occupied.
- Ask a trusted friend, neighbor or your landlord to watch your home and contact police if they notice any suspicious activity.
- Stop your mail and newspaper delivery. Piled mail signals that you are away.
- Take all portable electronics with you.
- Close blinds or drapes to ensure that larger electronics and valuables are not visible from the outside.
- Activate your security system, if you have one.
- Update or create your home inventory. Take photos and list descriptions and serial numbers. In the event of a burglary, having a detailed inventory can help identify stolen items and make insurance claims easier to file.
- Lock all windows and doors before you leave.
- Check smoke detectors to make sure they are in working order.
All students not leaving for the winter break, please keep these safety precautions in mind:
- Be alert and aware as you travel through the community.
- Immediately report any suspicious activity to the police. If off campus, call the City of Philadelphia Police immediately by dialing 911. If on campus, call Temple Police by dialing 1-1234 from a campus phone or 215-204-1234 from a non-campus phone.
- Do not open your door to strangers, including repair or maintenance persons without prior notice.
- Keep your doors and windows locked even when you are in your residence.
- If you have a security system, remember to use it even when you are home.
For more information on safety at Temple University, please visit www.temple.edu/safety.