On Monday, and again today, President Englert wrote to the Temple University community regarding the terrorist acts that were committed in Israel by Hamas. President Englert stated, “while we know that the ongoing conflict in Israel and Gaza is complex and has a deep history, there is never any excuse for the despicable acts of terroristic violence that we have witnessed.” I stand with him in condemning these acts.
The acts of last weekend, and the ongoing conflict in Israel and Gaza, have resulted in fear and continued suffering, both in the region and across the world. Members of our Temple community are in pain, and some have experienced profound loss. Many have a heightened awareness of their identity and have expressed concerns or fears about safety.
As members of the Temple community, your safety and well-being are our primary concern. Know that the University is here to support you during these difficult times. We encourage you to take advantage of the resources available to you and help to direct your peers to these resources if needed.
President Englert previously encouraged students to reach out and connect with Tuttleman Counseling Services and the Interfaith Inclusion Center within IDEAL if needed. In addition, you can contact the offices below to access resources and support.
- Public Safety
- Earlier today, the Department of Public Safety shared a message informing the community there are no credible threats related to today’s call for a “Day of Jihad”. If you or someone you know feels unsafe or becomes aware of threats or acts of violence within our community, please call Temple Police at 215-204-1234. If you have not already done so, you can also download and use the TUSafe app to request emergency services or walking escorts. Our colleagues in Public Safety have enhanced patrols in key areas of the patrol zone and coordinate with local, regional, and national partners to ensure the safety of the campus and community.
- Office of the Dean of Students
- The Office of the Dean of Students can provide guidance and connect all students needing assistance to campus resources. The Office has also reached out individually this week to students with home addresses of record in the region to provide direct outreach and support and is coordinating with other offices across campus to support potentially impacted students.
- Wellness Resource Center
- The Wellness Resource Center is committed to promoting healthy lifestyles and providing resources on how to cope with stress and anxiety.
- University Housing and Residential Life
- If you reside in the residence halls and need assistance, we encourage you to reach out to your Resident Assistant, Resident Director, or on-call staff member.
- International Student Affairs
- For our international students who may be dealing with additional challenges during this time, International Student Affairs (ISA) provides support to students in need to foster academic and personal success at Temple University.
Also, as a reminder, while we affirm your right to advocate and protest safely and peacefully, we will not tolerate acts of violence or incidents of bias or hate perpetuated against other members of our community. We want to remind all students of our Student Conduct Code, which outlines the expectations and responsibilities of every member of our community. Please review the code and remember that it is in place to ensure a safe and respectful environment for all. If you have questions about the Student Conduct Code, or to report possible violations of the Code, you can contact Student Conduct and Community Standards or the Dean of Students.
During these difficult times, it is essential that we come together as a supportive and understanding community and take care of each other. We anticipate that opportunities for togetherness, connection, and support will be shared with the community in the coming days. We extend our comfort and support to all who have been affected by these events, and please know that the University stands ready to assist you as needed.
Interim Vice President for Student Affairs